Mental Health & Wellbeing

Information for parents and carers of primary aged children

Longvernal Primary School take the emotional health and wellbeing of every child seriously. We believe that the school can help pupils build resilience and support them to be mentally healthy. Our mental health and wellbeing policy sets out how we do this. We all have ups and downs in life but in childhood it can be particularly hard to cope with sad feelings and worries that arise when things are hard or scary. There may be times when your child is unhappy or struggling emotionally. You may notice that they seem low or worried or that their behaviour changes. We may notice that they seem withdrawn or upset at school. If you are worried about your child’s mental health then you are not alone. Many parents and carers have similar worries and stresses. 

We are very fortunate to have a Parent Support Adviser, Carole Macdonald, who will act as a point of contact for families in need of additional support and to simply be a listening ear.

Please see below how Carole could help you.

 Carole Macdonald Parent Support Advisor

There is also good support available from local and national organisations. The sooner you seek help the better for your child and you.

The leaflet: Mental health problems in children and young people: guidance for parents and carers provides some useful tips for helping your child plus links to local and national services.


Click here 
To access MNSPs Positive Mental Health Policy


Local services for children 

  • The School Please talk to us about your concerns, so that we can work together to help your child feel better – Karen Bazeley – Headteacher at Longvernal Primary School. 
  • Your GP A GP can check any physical symptoms linked to your child’s health and talk with you about their emotional well-being making a referral to a specialist service if necessary.
  • The School Nurse Parents/carers can contact the Bath and North East Somerset School Nurse Service for advice and support on a range of health issues.
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) A free NHS service that assesses and treats 0-18-year olds with emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties.
  • Off the Record Counselling service for young people Websites that offer information and advice

The following organisations provide reliable information and advice to help parent/carers to support their child when experiencing emotional difficulties:-

Young Minds: - Help for Parents Information about all aspects of child mental health, including a Parent Helpline 0800 802 5544.

Childline Lots of information and tips for children of all ages about feelings and difficult situations.

Minded for Families Free learning resource about mental health for parents and carers.

Happy Maps Lots of information about health topics including mental health, organised under different age groups including pre-school and primary age.

Looking after your own mental health

In order to support your child, you need to stay strong and well yourself. It isn’t easy being a parent or carer especially when you are experiencing problems of your own such as relationship difficulties, money worries, problems with work. Often it helps to talk to someone, so don’t be scared about doing this, with friends, family, your GP or a support service. The following organisations can also offer information and advice to help you.

Talking Therapies Accessed through G.P or self-referral.

MyScript - Social prescribing service Available to anyone registered with a GP in B&NES. This service provides support in finding specialist services and community groups to help individuals experiencing mental health and wellbeing issues to take control of their situation.

Bath Mind Tel: 01225 316199

Samaritans Tel: free 116 123

NHS Choices: moodzone. Helps manage stress, anxiety, depression.

CALM Campaign against living miserably

Agencies and services to support parents and carers in vulnerable situations


Citizens Advice B&NES Independent charity that provides free, impartial advice and information on a range of issues including housing, employment and debt.

The information on this page has been provided by B&NES Council Public Health Team